HomeForumShopResourcesEvents

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion

TOPIC: It's music Jim...but not as we know it!

It's music Jim...but not as we know it! 1 year 4 months ago #360

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Much though I appreciate the work of the archivists in digging up old tunes and such personally I don't really care where a tune originates, how old it is, what version it is and whether or not it could be construed to form part of a tradition or not. All I care about is what it sounds like to me and whether or not I can play it if I like it. That said it would be a shame to lose this stuff and thanks to the efforts archivists have made the tradition, such as it is, probably stands in the rudest health ever. Certainly I doubt if it has ever been better or by so many documented.

Anyone who has ever played a bagpipe knows just how limited in range they are so playing outside of the canon takes imagination and skill and just as most can not compose with any degree of skill (myself included) most can not make the leap in imagination and musicality to adapt a tune to the pipe. Not with any desire to add to or continue a "tradition" but just for s*#ts and giggles. Some examples of the kind from the GHB might be the "Star Wars" and "Magnificent Seven" themes. Though these are not really worthy of inclusion in the same list as probably the most famous off all Bagpipe covers, Gordon Duncan's version of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".

In light of this later example and trailling helplessly in the wake of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian as they fearlessly debunk the stigma and inertia of Fornby and such with such classics as this

Has anyone out there come across other examples that fit the frame, particularly but not exclusively for bagpipes of any ilk?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: It's music Jim...but not as we know it! 1 year 4 months ago #361

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Now this is what I'm talking about. I take great pleasure in introducing Marinesandpiper and his Lady Gaga Medley :woohoo: !!!

Epic!

Re: It's music Jim...but not as we know it! 1 year 4 months ago #362

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
I could fill the whole thread with clips of this guy, don't worry I won't. I reckon this one deserves special mention though.

Fabulous. It brings to mind a series of solo spots that my old band did at a gig a few years back. Up went the usual suspects to do their star turn, bog standard MSR and competiton sets only to have their noses put well out of joint by the audience reaction to the pipe seargent's renditions of popular classics of the Star Wars kind! It can pay to remember that music is about entertaining as well as personal artistic and proficiency goals.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Tunni. Reason: Blah blah blah

Re: It's music Jim...but not as we know it! 1 year 4 months ago #363

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Sometimes I wish I never started something...like right now for example

It's like a broken tooth you can't stop playing with arghhh :sick:

Re: It's music Jim...but not as we know it! 1 year 4 months ago #366

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
My mind has been wandering, as is its wont when it comes to doing my tax return (oh to be the CEO of Starbucks) and it struck me that these cover artists are in fact firmly embedded in the piping tradition and not outside it. For as long as there have been pipes pipers have sought to play popular music of their age from the latest dances, jigs and reels to popular airs and songs of their time. Some of these tunes have lasted and become standards, some have slipped to archived obscurity, others are every bit as ephemeral as I hope much of modern chart music proves to be (Christ I'm only upto August as well...)

Here's a couple more anyway, first up a delightful Russian pipe rendering of a Metallica number

And who could forget the Red Hot Chili Pipers in all this...?

Having seen that I wish I could!

Re: It's music Jim...but not as we know it! 1 year 4 months ago #380

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
I can't resist adding this to the heap. It's amusing me if nothing (or noone) else! You've got to hear "Paint it Black" played on a bagpipe at least once in your life to really get a feel for the potential of the instrument....as something completely different :whistle:

www.amazon.de/dp/B006CQ0LGE/
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds